So my latest project was to re-vamp an Antique dresser I bought, into a new TV console.
I picked up the dresser for around $30 last fall, with the plans to work on it over the winter, obviously that did not happen!
Before I got to the fun part … painting it, I had to do some prep work. First things first, I gave it a good cleaning inside and out. Then I had to test what kind of paint was on it. A good trick, is to use Acetone-Free nail polish remover on a cotton swab, and rub the paint. If it comes off, it is latex paint, if not, it is oil paint. Why do I need to know this? Well, to know what type of paint I need to paint over it with, and if I need a primer. Lucky for me, it was latex. As there was some of the prior color paint peeking through as well, I tested that one too, to make sure it was latex paint as well. It was!
My next challenge was the wood veneer that was bubbled up on a few spots on the top of the dresser. I was hoping it would be an easy fix. I first tried a hairdryer to heat up the area, with the hopes to re-activate the glue … no good. Next I tried putting a wet cloth over the bubbled area and then used an iron. This was in hopes to re-activate the glue with heat and moisture … no go again. Finally I tried to use some wood glue, squeezing it in, then taking a thin blade and spread the glue under the bubbled area. To make sure the glue set properly, I put some weights on it for 24 hours. Bam, it worked!!
Okay, so now with the prep work done, I finally got to paint! I pondered on the color, but finally decided on Hidden Sea Glass (Behr). I kinda have a thing for sea glass!! After a few coats, it was looking good.
After letting the paint cure for a few days, I decided I loved the color, but felt it was too stark for my style. So I took my sander to it, to give it more of a destressed look to it. Sanding edges and where the handles are gave it more of an aged look to it. The previous paint colors came through (white, mint and raw wood) and it really looks nice!!
Then, I just had a few more finishing touches to complete the project. Getting some shelves installed was next on the list. I decided with everything we needed to put in the TV console, that I would do two open shelves, and then one drawer to hide the odds and ends. I used a laminated pine board for the shelves. I cut them to size (I left a bit of an overhang on the front), then gave them a good sanding and slide them in. That was easy!
For the finishing touch, I added some cool handles that I picked up. Last minute I remembered I had some scented drawer liner, so put that in the bottom of the drawer (I think it looks cute, and smells nice too).
Now, in its new place, and the TV mounted on the wall above it, we are very happy with the final project! It serves its purpose, and looks good doing it!!